We’re thankful to live in New Jersey.
We’ve been thinking about the year-long state of “pivoting” that organizations have endured — groups all over the world— but especially in our home state of NJ.
Despite the challenges, these service agencies have found innovative ways to continue clothing, sheltering, feeding and serving people who are experiencing dire needs.
This year, with Valentine’s Day in mind, we’ve compiled fun and purposeful ways to show NJ some love!
Here are 14 creative ways to show love to New Jersey this Valentine’s Weekend.
- Discover and visit a local treasure you’ve never experienced before. Get ideas by scouring the “Things To Do” page on the state’s travel and tourism site: https://www.visitnj.org/things-to-do.
- Have you ever heard of attentional saturation? When we see items over and over again, we actually stop seeing them. Refresh your town memory with an “around the town scavenger hunt” which can be easily found by searching Pinterest.
- Score tickets to attend the virtual R.E.D Gala, Celebrating Racial Equity and Diversity. The virtual gala supports the Urban League of Essex County.
- Celebrate Jewish culture when you help with a mitzvah project through Jewish Family Service of MetroWest.
- Gather your officemates and conduct a “drive,” this month and gather goods to be invested back into the city through a local agency. To support Children’s Aid and Family Services, you can team up and host a Baby Basics supply drive, collecting diapers, wipes and formulas for local families.
- Support justice and healing by becoming an advocate to those served by the Family Service League, or volunteer with Family Connections when you become a homework helper at a school-based program.
- Take a “bubble walk” around your neighborhood or downtown on a cold day, spreading the love with your magical, freezing bubbles.
- Register to bid in the auction at the virtual Seize the Dream 2021 Gala.
- Contact a local florist and order a delivery of flowers to be sent to a local retirement facility.
- Visit your local library’s town history section and uncover 5 new-to-you facts about your town’s background.
- Mentor a child through Youth Consultation Service or find safe a service opportunity at Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Newark.
- Ask kids to gather coins, while parents model with a haul of their own, and donate to the Holiday Fund, who loves New Jersey as much as you do.
- Help Newark Day Center spread the word about their open enrollment for 3- and 4-year-old children. It’s easy — just share their Facebook page on your profile!
- Instead of planning a luncheon for the office, gather safely and “attend” a Paint and Sip event to support the Nutley Family Service Bureau. FSB will deliver the art supplies to your door to create your very own masterpiece, based on “Love” by Robert Indiana.
Will you keep in touch? Leave a comment and let us know how you decided to celebrate NJ this Valentine’s Day. We can’t wait to hear your stories and see your pictures.
You can show love to the Holiday Fund any time with a donation of any size; the 10 reputable agencies we support serve individuals all year long. Contribute safely and easily at https://holidayfund.org/give/.